Thursday, November 22, 2012

Week 4 Assignment 1: Education Technologies Blog


EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGIES BLOG                                                                                 
           Mobile learning is learning that occurs when the learner uses some type of mobile technology device to access and learn information, subject material, explored data, and/or live events.  Mobile technology devices allow teachers to connect with other teachers and students.  They allow students to connect with other students and their teacher.  Mobile technology devices allow the user to make use of its connectivity, location awareness, content, and application at a time and place the user chooses (Learn2Go, 2012).
          One mobile technology device to use and integrate in education and the classroom or training room is the mobile phone and/or Smartphone, such as Windows Phone 8.  Mobile phones are small, handheld mobile technology devices that are making an impact in education now because of the numerous features it hosts and its connectivity to information, data, and people all over the world.  Mobile phones are mobile technology devices most people/students and educators already own, so their use in the classroom becomes an easy to accomplish (van’t Hooft, 2009).  In the area of employee training, trainers can download their course plan into their Windows Phone 8 or any other mobile phone to use it as a guide as they conduct class.  This eliminates the sometimes cumbersome job of disconnecting and reconnecting their larger laptop to take it with them to the training room.  Everything they need to guide them is now present in their phone, with easy access and visibility.  Trainers can also send program updates and training reminders to students/employees and managers using their Windows Phone 8 or mobile phone by using the email function or Twitter.  This feature in the phone allows the trainer the ability to keep all necessary personnel informed on important information about programs and on track with training.  The mobile phone and/or the Windows Phone 8 has the ability to enhance education in a countless number of ways
http://www.windowsphone.com
           Another mobile technology device that can be used in the field of education and/or employee training is the Microsoft Surface Windows RT Tablet PC or other PC Tablets.  The Tablet PC goes from touch screen to keyboard typing.  It allows users to create, collaborate, watch movies or recorded activities, search the internet, play music or recorded lectures and messages, live chat, create and send emails, download and/or upload to and from ones computer or laptop, and tote around anywhere, at anytime.  It is a wonderful mobile technology device for educators and students to use, regardless of the learning environment.  The multitouch tablet has the significant potential to influence the way educators teach and students’ learn both formally and outside the classroom (Low, 2012).  Students or employees are able to use their Tablet PC to record a training course group project and latter, present their recorded collaboration to the class and teacher for discussion and evaluation.  Using the Tablet PC to record any desired activities is easy and immediate and saves time and the use of extra video equipment in order to do so.  Students or employees can use their Tablet PC and download Online Training courses, complete the trainings, and send to the trainer once the courses are completed and the course tests have been taken.  The Tablet PC allows employees to take Online Training courses at work and/or at home, so their Training Portfolio stays up-to-date and is inclusive of all required training.  The multitouch tablet is becoming more and more popular in the field of education by educators and students alike, as their capabilities and features continue to grow and improve.
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-rt/home?WT.mc_id=cp
           Mobile technologies are making an exciting presence in the world of education.  As their abilities and features continue to improve and increase, so are their uses by educators and students.  Mobile technologies allow teaching and learning to go anywhere and take place at anytime.  
                                                                   References
Learning2Go.  (n.d.).  Retrieved May 30, 2012, from http://www.learning2go.org/

Low, L.  (n.d.).  Mobile learning: A reflective journal on learning all the time, everywhere.  Retrieved May 30, 2012, from http://mlearning.wordpress.com/

van’t Hooft, M.  (2009, February 20).  Mobile Learning 09 Conference, Day 2, Morning Panels [Blog post].  Retrieved from http://ubiquitousthoughts.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/mobile-learning-09-conference-day-2-morning-panels/

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gayle,
    I think it is great that as teachers we have so many devices that can be used to enhance education. Both smart phones and tablets are easy to carry and they have numerous features which can help educators and learners. As an instructor of English language, I can see great potential in using both of them. They can be used for teaching and learning any skill. With the help of them learners will not have to carry books with them.
    Thanks for your post,
    Seher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gayle,
    Great job on your post. I am doing my proposal on how beneficial cell phones can be in the classroom setting. I feel that the accessibility is a plus in the education field due to alot of people having such a busy lifestyle and not being able to always have the means or resources to get to a computer like you mentioned and with this said cell phones would offer the time and ability for learners to focus on their education as well as have a functional lifestyle.
    Thanks
    Melitta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle- I second Melitta's comments, great blog this week and excellent discussion on the Smart Phones and how educators can use Windows 8 phone and their smart phones. I am avoiding smart phones due the expense of the data plan, while I am in school, yet, I felt as though I am missing out on first hand know how and personal experience after I read your blog this week. I am going to have to look at my budget in January and get a data plan and smart phone. Thanks for your inspiring blog Post. Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gayle,

    Smart phones are interesting. I have one, and when I use it I feel stupid. I do not use if for everything that it might be used for. It is time for me to upgrade and right now I am trying to decide if I want another smart phone or one like I used to have. When I look at what I use it for, talking on the phone, and that is about it, it seems like a waste of money to me. There have been a couple of times where I did go out on the internet and do things like check baseball scores, and I do text, but beyond that I do not take pictures, download files or music, or do much of anything else.

    I guess that is all in the way that one uses what they have. I use my computer much more than my phone. You did however give me more insight into what I can use my phone for.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have a growing experience of using mobile tablets or iPad. I am currently training on a new platform in our agency called Adobe Connect. Not only will it allow for the learner to access training or webinars, but it has the potential to allow the educator to train from remote sites as well. An educator in a video webcast gave us a glimpse of such a feat when she references being able to connect with her adult learners via twitter when she was out for a conference (Smith, 2010).

    I am excited to explore and take advantage of this fast growing tool. I imagine there will be a day soon, if it has not already come, where educators can provide trainings while on vacation. For that matter, this means I may fulfill my goal of not really retiring since I may be able to look forward to contractual training from any of my favorite locations around the world.

    Reference:

    Smith, E. (2010). The twitter experiment [Video webcast]. In Using twitter in the classroom Retrieved from http://mlearning.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/using-twitter-in-the-classroom

    ReplyDelete